Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Rest in Peace

Jim’s dad passed away on Monday.  Today would have been his 90th birthday.  I have been doing a lot of pondering about death, heaven, and the phrase, rest in peace.

We see it often, when someone dies.  It’s even on gravestones (R.I.P.)  What does that look like?
Of course, the Bible gives us glimpses of heaven through descriptions from Jesus and the eyes of John.  If you believe the Bible to be true, we are assured of pearly gates, streets of gold, no darkness (as the light of God fills all space), and to be in His presence, always.
There have been many humans who have described seeing heaven while having a “near-death” experience.  One of the most recent and well known is the child in the book/movie Heaven is Real.  If you believe those people, we are assured of seeing fellow believers, friends and family who have arrived before us.
Numerous songs have been written about heaven, all telling us how marvelously wonderful it will be.
Personally, I believe these descriptions to be true.  Sometimes I have even wondered if heaven is so amazing, why don’t we all want to be there, now.  That would nullify our whole existence, though.  Wouldn’t it?  
We are born, not understanding what is happening.  Leaving our warm and cozy comfort zone, being thrust into a world we didn’t ask to be in, screaming the whole time. 
Life tends to be a bit of a roller coaster and then, as you know, death comes to us all.  Some of us are tragically gone in a second, others suffer through a long drawn out illness.  The lucky ones, pass from this world while sleeping peacefully.
In almost every instance, we say, “May they rest in peace.”  Is this meaning that they didn’t live in peace?  That only in heaven can we have true peace?  Does it mean that heaven is peaceful?  That we will sit around, at the feet of Jesus, singing hallelujah forever?  
I would suggest we can live in peace, if we have accepted the peace of Christ.  That doesn’t mean we have an easy life.  It means that no matter the circumstances we can remain relatively stress free, knowing that God’s got this. 
When our time comes, to leave this world and meet The Father, I hope we can all make the journey peacefully.  
I want to transition peacefully, but I think there will be a wild celebration as Jesus, and my deceased family members welcome me into the fold.  With each person who declares Jesus as their savior, I want to celebrate their eventual homecoming.  
I’m not so sure that we will rest in “worldly” peace.  I think it’s more likely we will rest in grace and celebratory joy.


Page Moved

Hello All, It's been a while.  Actually, I've been posting on our website, which now has a dedicated blog page. Still posting week...