Thursday, August 24, 2017

Compromise


It amazes me how many people have to have things their way or no way.  What ever happened to the art of compromise? 

 Dictionary.com says compromise, as a verb, means to “settle a dispute by mutual concession.”

 Mutual concession = two, or more, sides giving in just a little, to bring about an agreeable conclusion.   Sometimes, one side will give in more than another, but if that is agreeable to all parties to make the deal work, then it’s still a compromise.

 The willingness, and ability, to compromise can be very useful.  You can compromise with a

·         Spouse

·         Child

·         Sibling

·         Family member

·         Friend

·         Co-worker

·         Boss

·         Neighbor

·         Or total stranger
You never know when the need to compromise may come up.

 Just this past weekend, Jim gave in BIG TIME.  We have been pet free for about 5 years now.  It’s certainly nice to have that freedom.  Every now and then I’d see FaceBook posts of cats for adoption.  He’s been saying “No” for a long time.  Then our daughter-in-law started fostering kittens.  Yup, just made me want one more.  I kept dropping hints and comments, but Jim was pretty adamant that we remain pet free.

 A couple of months ago I restated, “I would like another cat.”  Jim’s reply was, “I want a Corvette.”  I told him that we could get a cat and NAME it Corvette.  HAHA.  His comment made me wonder if he was warming up to the idea, though.  So, I kept dropping hints.

 A couple of weeks ago, there was a national “Clear the Shelter” day, when many shelters and rescues would waive their adoption fees.  I kept sharing the info to my FB page, and tagging Jim.  He was a good sport about it.  Finally, the day before the big event came and we had to discuss the topic of getting a cat.  Much to my surprise, he let me go and pick one out!  And guess who that silly cat prefers?!  Yup, Jim. HAHA.

 You never know when a little patience, persistence, and compromise might make everyone involved acceptable to an idea.  Oh, did I mention… we named the cat Cora, short for CORA VETTE (get it?).  I love my husband! (Although I did see him looking at some car sites online. Hmmm…)

 Try not having a “winner” or “loser” in a conflict situation.  Compromising can be the “not perfect” answer.  After all, who among us is perfect?  We can often be happy with good enough or almost perfect.  So, give a little.  You’d be surprised what it can do for a relationship

*Pam and Jim are Certified Marriage Mentors.  

                    

Page Moved

Hello All, It's been a while.  Actually, I've been posting on our website, which now has a dedicated blog page. Still posting week...